Permits & Forms

Are you planning a home or yard improvement project? Our resources and references are compiled here in one location to answer all your building, planning, zoning, and site questions.

Permit requirements updated January 29, 2013.

As described in Michigan adopted codes, “Any owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of a building or structure…shall first make application to the building official and obtain the required permit.” If there is any question as to the need for a permit, contact the Building Department at 248-530-1408. Permits are required for many types of jobs, including, but not limited to, the following:

  • New residential and commercial building construction
  • Additions, alterations or modifications to existing buildings
  • Decks (new and replacement)
  • Basement Waterproofing
  • Roofing (Tear-off and new installation)
  • Tennis courts, sports courts, swimming pools or similar accessory structures
  • Fences (for swimming pool areas)
  • Air conditioning units (Requires building permit for side-yard installations)
  • Generators (Building permit is required, as well as trade permits)
  • Retaining and screening walls
  • Signage
  • Windows (all) and Exterior door replacement
  • Piers, walls and fences in front yard areas
  • Residential and commercial demolition
  • Siding and masonry veneer replacement
  • All indoor and outdoor electrical work requires an electrical permit
  • All indoor plumbing, water services, sanitary sewer services, storm sewer services, basement waterproofing drains, sprinkling systems and sump-pump installations require a plumbing permit
  • Any work relating to heating, cooling and ventilation systems requires a mechanical permit.
  • Low Voltage permits are no longer required; however, the low voltage work must be in place at the time of electrical inspection.


Many of our permit forms have been updated. The current version of the specific permit forms may be found on our website or at the front counter. The required fees are posted on our website as well. Minimum permit fees will always apply.