- What is the non-emergency phone number for the Police Department?
For all non-emergency dispatch, call the Police Department at 248-644-4200. For an emergency, you should always dial 911.
- How do I obtain burn permit?
Please contact the Department of Public Safety at 248-644-4200 to inquire about the open burn regulations.
- How do I obtain a police report?
Obtain your permit by following these steps:
- If you were involved in the case as a victim or defendant you may come in person to the department and request a copy of the report.
- If you are a defense attorney involved in a case you can mail your discovery requests or drop them off in person. If you need our address, please see our Contact Page.
- You may fill out the FOIA request form and submit it to the records department. See FOIA for more information.
- Traffic crash reports can be purchased directly from the cLemis website.
All records are subject to the fee schedule below regardless of the method of request.
- How do I obtain traffic crash reports?
All traffic crash reports are entered electronically for reporting to the State of Michigan. This helps improve accuracy and track important traffic crash data. Once our officer has taken your crash report, they will enter it into this system and submit it for approval.
We request up to 7 business days for the report to be approved by the sergeant in charge of traffic crash reporting. Once approved the report will be available. City residents may obtain a copy of their traffic crash report at the station, you will need your driver's license.
- Do I need to obtain a Purchase Permit to purchase a pistol?
No, residents wishing to purchase pistols from licensed dealers in Michigan are no longer required to obtain a purchase permit from their local law enforcement agency. Licensed dealers are now able to produce the appropriate pistol registration paperwork and perform the appropriate federal background checks. Once the background check is approved and the paperwork is completed, the dealer will give you a copy of the Pistol Sales Record that needs to be delivered to the Public Safety Department. The State of Michigan no longer requires an inspection of the firearm.
- What do I need to purchase a pistol from a private party?
To purchase a pistol from a private party, you will need to obtain a Permit to Purchase. Residents will need to come to the Public Safety Department between the hours of 8 am and 5 pm, Monday through Friday. It is suggested that you call and speak with a communications specialist prior to arriving to ensure staff is on hand to assist you. Staff will conduct the appropriate background checks and issue or deny a permit, based on the findings. Should you be approved, the permit will be immediately issued and is valid for 30 days. Once the firearm is purchased, you will need to return the appropriate section of the sales permit to the Public Safety Department. The State of Michigan no longer requires an inspection of the firearm.
- How can I apply for a CPL?
Any resident wishing to apply for a CPL can contact the Oakland County Clerk's Office or find the application online.
- How do I pay traffic tickets?
All traffic citations are entered into an electronic system for submittal to the 48th District Court. If you were issued a traffic ticket you may pay your fines in person at the 48th District Court or online. We do not accept payment for citations at our department.
If you wish to set up a hearing or have any questions regarding your traffic citation, please contact the 48th District Court directly by phone at 248-647-1141.
- How do I retrieve an impounded vehicle?
If your vehicle has been impounded by our department you must come into our station and get a release form prior to going to the impound yard. We require:
- The owner of the vehicle to be present or a signed notarized letter authorizing release to a party other than the owner.
- Two drivers with valid licenses are to be present; we will check. Driver's must have their operator's license with them, we will not accept verbal names. Individuals cannot remain in the car, they must come to the front desk. The owner can count as one of the two so long as his/her license is valid.
- Proof of Registration if applicable.
- Proof of Insurance if applicable.
- Vehicles being released that are not safe to operate on the road must be towed out by a flatbed wrecker. Bob Adams Towing will not allow work to be performed in their yard.
- All fees must be paid at the impound yard prior to release. We do not collect money at our department, it is collected by the tow company.
- Bob Adams will only accept cash for impounded vehicles. Please call them at 248-644-5000 to get an accurate price.
- How do I submit a FOIA Request?
Records requests can be submitted via email, via fax at 248-644-4813, or via mail to:
45 E Long Lake Road
Bloomfield Hills, MI 48304
An FOIA request form can be found on the city's website under the Form Center.
- How can I get fingerprinted?
You can call public safety to make an appointment at 248-644-4200. You will be asked to pay a $100 fee.